O-Net Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Leyton Orient supporter blog

11 Dec 2007
As yet unconfirmed, but it has been reported that former O's keeper Ray Goddard died this morning in Spain at the age of 58.

Ray was the goalkeeper in the 3rd Division championship side of 1969-70, and played in the first Orient game that I attended towards the end of that campaign. Regarded by many fans as the finest Orient keeper of recent years, he made his debut on the last day of the 1966-7 season, and became first choice for the no. 1 jersey the following season. He went on to make 311 appearances for the side before being sold to Millwall by George Petchey in 1974, having been replaced in the side by John Jackson.

Ray remained at Millwall for four years, before being transferred (again by Petchey) to Wimbledon. He later played for Wealdstone, and in recent years had been running a bar in Spain.


My condolences go to Ray's family, as I'm sure do those of all Orient fans. As a member of the team I first watched at Brisbane Road, he holds a special place in my memories.

Raymond Goddard 1949-2007. R.I.P.




posted by MSW 9:22 pm
. . .


. . .